Friday, September 21, 2007

It's Not Easy Being Green (and Blue)



In the following days, I want to direct my focus to some of the lesser known, but highly commendable lines of designer jeans out there, that have environmental causes.

I wasn't truly concerned or aware of just how much our purchases can harm or benefit our world until I began to research a bit. Now I am a big advocate of keeping the environment as close to its natural state as possible. What do I mean by this? I mean that I believe there is a way for us to co-exist peacefully with salmon. OK, sorry, that's what Bush likes to say. But, environmentally speaking, it actually makes sense. I could go off on talking about organic and environmental issues, another one of my passions besides jeans, but I will cut to the chase here.

What I believe is that there is a way (and should be) for us to exist and use our natural resources, environment, and animals in a natural and humane way, that keeps the world balanced and constantly renewed and restored. With all the chemicals, hormones, pesticides, and drugs we certainly are trying to cover up and fix a lot of things the backwards way. Instead, some companies now are choosing to be responsible, and use methods that do not harm the environment (or the consumer down the line).

'Organic' is a very touchy term to use for labeling things, since the word is actually very loosely regulated, and does not technically imply that the methods used are completely natural or sustainable. The latter of those two words being of most concern. Sustainable organic is the true definition of organic (or what it used to be, a few decades ago, before large companies stepped into the organic arena).
The great news is there are now some options for those of you like me, who are concerned about being a responsible shopper, and buying things that benefit the environment and the people making your clothes.

These lines range from being 'green' (environmentally friendly) to organic (a little more responsible) to sustainable organic (completely responsible). I will be highlighting each one for the next few days; mentioning what's great, not so great about them, their story, and where to find them! The following companies I plan to highlight include Loomstate, Edun, Nudie, Kuyichi, Pine IV and Tierra del Forte.

If you are interested in learning more about how your buying habits help or harm the workers and nature around you, read this fabulous blog chalk-full of everything you ever wanted to know: http://organicclothing.blogs.com/

No comments: