Saturday, September 01, 2007

Brand Spotlight: Rock and Republic




What is it about Rock and Republic? It certainly can't be the $200+ price tag that keeps people coming back for more, or the yards of fabric one has to cut off if you are less than super-model height. What is it then?

For years I have been fascinated and obsessed with denim, but this one thing I have to admit: I was never a big fan of R&R. In fact, I found the brand quite bizarre and tacky in many respects and could not understand why people could love it, even adore it. And I certainly couldn't understand some of those that I know that worship it to the point of owning hundreds. But if this brand really is so popular and so great, I must be judging too quickly, I must be missing something. So I decided it was time to enlighten myself and go on a hunt for what makes this brand tick.

In retrospect, I can now say that the many great things about this brand I simply over-looked. There is no secret or divine truth in these jeans, but I did finally find out what is so great about R&R (and gained a new appreciation for it as well!). First off, the washes are absolutely gorgeous. There is probably not another brand out there that does it quite like Rock and Republic. If you are looking for a wash that says "I'm stunning", than look no further. They are unique, incredible, and both very fun and very sexy. This is what I see as their absolute strongest point of their brand.

Then there is the fabric- it is incredibly soft and supple and thin, almost like a pair of your favorite PJ's. For me, this tends to not be a good thing because I like denim with a more supportive and prominent feel. However, if my body shape were right for R&R's, I'd jump right into a pair of these comfy jeans!

Lastly, I found that an "R" just looks good on a butt. Period. There are some shapes and letters that do not, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why 7 for all Mankind put an "A" on one of their pocket styles. It is not a what I would call the most ingenious of choices, but it still works. The "H" on Citizens of Humanity barely squeaks by as looking OK and somewhat aesthetic. However, the way the "R" on Rock and Republic is constructed with its stiletto-like heel and sexy curve that throws itself outward, hugging the curves of your derriere, definitely is a winner as far as letters go. Again, I am not one to like big letters or logos slapped on my rear, but for those who don't mind, Rock and Republic definitely pulled it off.

Some other great things to note about this brand is the variety of cuts, rises and fits, as well as different style pockets (for people like me) who prefer designs like the phoenix, scorpion, fleur and crowns instead of the R's.

Rock and Republic just may find its way into my closet yet. I think I may try to hunt down some beautiful Fleur De Lis jeans, because I love how that shape actually works for the rear (also has some fun ties to The Da Vinci Code). For those of you wondering if Rock and Republic would be a good choice for you, I would define the fit of them in general as tight-thigh, low rise, high and small pockets, with a wide waist. These jeans look best on petite girls and women (and men) and typically best on those with petite derrieres to boot (pun intended).

From the head haunchos at Rock and Republic:
Rock & Republic means edgy, progressive design inspired by Rock & Roll and with an emphasis on modern silhouettes and a sleek fit. Each piece in the collection is designed for sexy, confident men and women who live the lifestyle and really understand the look.
(and if you've never been to their website, it's edgy flashy site is definitely worth a visit! www.rockandrepublic.com)

No comments: