Monday, July 09, 2007

Who to trust on eBay?





Trust? On eBay? Many of my friends are still too leary to even try that yet. eBay demands a lot of trust from both the buyer and seller, but it can work beautifully, and my closet of clothes and house of stuff that is mostly from eBay is proof. So maybe you've bid a million times like me, or maybe you haven't tried it at all yet. It is a very safe way to buy stuff, but you gotta know who to buy from, and a little research towards that will really pay off.

Typically, anything that is from Hong Kong or Singapore is generally a knock-off. There are exceptions, since as we all know, many things are made and imported from those countries (like Abercrombie). Also if you want to play it extra safe, I have found that in some rare cases, fake jeans are also found more often in California than in other states. There are many reasons for this: it is a huge state, it is the denim capital of the world, many things are imported there, etc.

So who can you be safe trusting? Usually it is someone selling from their own closet collection (ie, 'spring cleaning'). They typically have good feedback, and a nice amount of information on the auction like style and wash #, measurements, and the like. I will go more into this on another day.

Who are the big time sellers to trust? There are two main sellers that I have found to be authentic. Dailydenim and Judynjacob. They always have an enormous amount of jeans, all authentic. Most assume that they own a boutique and sell their overstock on eBay, since it is very difficult to get your hands on that many authentic jeans, due to high restrictions from the designer brands. At some point I would love to own a boutique of my own and do as they do, but for now I just occasionally sell some here and there that I find on sale.

Below (actually at the bottom of this page) is a RSS feed of these two sellers in particular. I will definitely add some RSS feeds of smaller sellers at some other point, too :)

No comments: