Sunday, July 08, 2007

A long hello...

So here I am, ready to begin this blog, and I am not even wearing jeans...I suppose that's not too proper for the occassion, but here goes nothing anyway.

If you read the side notes on my blog, you probably already have a picture in mind that I am a jean freak, and yes, that is what I am. It all began a few years ago when I found an amazing pair of jeans at a used clothing store. Needless to say, they were cheap, but I also had no idea what they were. When I paid for them, the woman said I had found a great deal and that Hilary Duff wore them. Ok, I thought, that's nice, and went about my way. Then I found a tiny article in a magazine claimed that Paige jeans were their 'find' for the 'best-fitting' of all jeans. This sparked my curiousity. After some googling around, I discovered my used jeans I had just bought (Paper Denim and Cloth) were worth almost $200. My jaw dropped...I couldn't believe jeans could be that much. My curiousity still rising, I then researched Paige and decided I would try a pair for myself if I ever found them cheap (because you will soon learn I am a bargain hunter and very cheap). Being the avid eBayer that I am, I immediately logged on, and did a search for Paige jeans, and eventually bought a pair. Ever since then, I have been hooked.

It is funny sometimes for me to think of myself as someone interested in designer jeans, because I am not interested in being 'stylish'. I know, you are thinking that really is a lie, or some bizarre oxymoron, but it's true. I am in fact just fascinated with denim. I can go to Nordstrom or some little boutique and just look at them and be content, strange, I know. It has led to me having a growing knowledge (and closet, shhh) over many brands of designer jeans, washes, how they are cut to fit in just such a way, and how to spot fakes, what pocket-placement means and why it matters, among many other things.

There is such a wealth of information out on the web, but in my opinion it is scattered and vague. I hope the Denim Cafe will become a place where the pieces of the puzzle are assembled under one roof. In the midst of that, I also want to post daily finds of authentic jeans on eBay, so that I can be of some help in finding authentic, stunning deals (because who wants to actually dish out $180 instead of $60?). I will also focus on featuring certain facts about jeans and brands each day. So now that this has become a novel, and rather too long for a blog, I will leave it at that for today.

No comments: